Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Culmination of Many a New Year's Resolution Unfulfilled

I actually don't usually make New Year's resolutions (why make a big deal out of a promise that you won't keep anyway?), but if there was a New Year's resolution that I would have made all these years, it would be the oh-so-cliche Lose Weight promise. I have always been of the rounder variety of Asian (not one of those tiny Asians that creepy guys are always seeking in personal ads), and I do find food to be one of the great joys in life, so I have always been somewhat resigned to being overweight. So in the past, my weight has always sort of gradually crept up--I'd stay at some plateau for a few years, and then I'd go through a bad stretch of emotional eating or sedentary lifestyle and gain a few pounds. A few pounds here, a few pounds there added up to probably about 30 pounds in the 15ish years since high school. To a girl who always felt that fat was her fate, it seemed like a normal pattern of events. Now, that's not to say that I didn't struggle against this weight gain--I have dieted and felt guilty and lost weight and gained weight my whole life. I'm just saying (and maybe this is a formula for failure) that I've never been surprised by the gradual net gain.

This year has been different. Shockingly different. This year, I slack on controlling my eating--I gain 10 pounds. I slow down the eating--I lose maybe 1 pound. I start on an exercise routine--I lose maybe another pound. I fall of the wagon and go out to eat alot--I gain another 10 pounds. I don't exercise for a week, I gain another 5 pounds. It's crazy. I guess this is what people talk about when they say their body changes suddenly when they get older? Because I also have been growing myself in areas that I never gained weight before--my ass is huge, my hips are super wide, my thighs have gotten big. I feel like Eddie Murphy in the Nutty Professor. Only I have no excuse (aside from being lazy, addicted to food, and apparently old).

So turning 35 and being at this weight has spurred me to get serious about this. I really would like a new body (or a smaller version of my own), and I vow to believe that I can achieve one. I am working on setting weight-loss goals along with incentives at each step of the way. I am going to eat better and eat less and think about consequences when I eat. I have enrolled in Busy People Fitness' Boot Camp. If it ever stops raining on Sunday and Monday, I'll be playing soccer twice a week, and I'm going to try to make it to the gym on the days in between. Yup, as much as I hate to admit it, this aging woman has no time to put this off anymore.

On a separate note, CGT finally ordered my birthday present!!! He was sweet and helped me research the different kinds and gave me his opinion (I finally settled on this), but I had to bug him and bug him to actually order the thing...even though I had sent him the exact links to the best-priced deal. So soon I can actually add some photos to this thing and maybe it won't look (be?) so dull.

No comments: