Monday, January 10, 2011

Oldtimer's Disease

I've never been entirely good at writing. I have been a voracious reader, and I am happy to pick apart others' writing and give them helpful (hopefully) critiques. But putting down my own thoughts and ideas has always been painful. I really don't like for anyone else to read what I have to say. Plus, most of what careens through my brain is fleeting at best, making it difficult to capture anything useful

So why write here? I am old and forgetful and I am feeling the need to document my life for myself. I don't know if it's early-onset Alzheimer's, but it sure feels like it. Maybe it's just that I'm trying to do too many things at once or juggle too many thoughts and tasks. But I'm losing track of events, and I feel like time is flying by before I get the chance to absorb the significance of anything.

Of course, it's been almost 4 (!) years since I first decided to try and slow this memory freefall...and in that time I've recorded almost none of what I wanted to. So the theory is that I'm now going to try to go back and play catch-up with a weekly summary of some of the days gone by, in chronological order, with alot of help from the photos on my computer.

Wish me luck.

No comments: